James Parks – Study: Half of Seniors at Risk for Poverty
From the AFL-CIO Now Blog:
by James Parks, Dec 8, 2010
Here’s one big reason congressional Republicans and the deficit hawks are dead wrong about cutting Social Security benefits: According to a new study, nearly half (47.4 percent) of all Americans between the ages of 60 and 90 will experience at least one year of poverty or near poverty and seniors of color are twice as likely to be affected.
The study by Mark Rank, a professor of social work at Washington University in St. Louis, shows that 58 percent of seniors between 60 and 84 will, at some point, not have enough liquid assets to allow them to weather an unanticipated expense or downturn in income.
But if you are a senior who is black or unmarried or have less than a high school education, the likelihood that you will be poor at some point increases dramatically. Rank found that although 32.7 percent of white older Americans will experience at least one year below the official poverty line, the percentage for black older Americans was nearly double at 64.6 percent.
For unmarried seniors, the percentage experiencing poverty was 51.2 percent compared with 24.9 percent for married older Americans. Likewise, for those with fewer than 12 years of education, the percentage experiencing poverty was 48.4 percent compared with 20.5 percent for those with 12 or more years of education.
- RT footage of Japan Kessenuma ‘ghost’ port city smashed by tsunami
- Doha Debates: This House Believes that Arab Revolutions Will Just Produce Different Dictators
- 500,000 March in London Protesting Public Spending Cuts and Corporate Tax Dodgers
- Naomi Klein on Anti-Union & Budget “Crisis” Bills and Shock Doctrine American-Style
- Naomi Klein on The Shock Doctrine: “My Fear is Climate Change is the Biggest Crisis of All”
- Senator Bernie Sanders
- Sen. Franken’s Floor Statement on the House Republican Budget
- Wonkette – BREAKING: NPR Person a Human Being, Has Personal Opinions
- Washington’s Blog – Guantanamo Show Trials Re-Started
- Chris Hedges – This Time We’re Taking the Whole Planet With Us
- Zero Hedge – The Shadow King Of Wall Street: “Markets Like Totalitarian Governments”
- ‘America Is NOT Broke’: Michael Moore Speaks in Madison, WI — March 5, 2011
- Stephen Lendman on “Hired ‘rebels’, civil war part of US plan to colonize Libya”
- Help Desk Geek – What is a Browser Helper Object and How Do I Remove It?
- Flouride: The Bizarre History 1 / 20